Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Setting The Stage For a Year of Freedom

Please join me in welcoming our newest author to The Educational Arsonist, Danielle Firavanti.  Ms. Firavanti is a Progressive High School Language Arts Teacher in New Jersey.  She will be blogging about her experiences in her classes this year.  Enjoy!



The status quo is out the window for my freshman who are (hopefully) on their way to become the school's best collaborators and thinkers.  Before we learned names, decided on class rules, explored norms, or even assigned seats, we created blogs.  Creating blogs sounds like a pretty simple task, but for students who are are quite unfamiliar with the interface of Google, this was a task that was well worth our time.  Currently, of five freshman English classes (approximately 120 students), we are at about 92% functionality with log-ins, e-mailing, and blogs.  My future self is thanking me for taking this time to set-up technology needs early.  

An influx of questions have been coming my way, most commonly, "What do we need for class?  Where is our supply list?"  In an attempt to create independence, I tell the class they need something with which to write, somewhere to write, and somewhere to keep papers.  Their expressions of confusion blow me away as they are conditioned to hearing what to buy, how to keep their notebook, and how their dividers should be labeled. Instead of rejoicing in the freedoms, they seemed unsure of themselves. I informed them that my students can keep their work however they see fit and that I will not disrupt this flow unless a problem emerges.  My past experience tells me that 90% will not have a problem, so why should they be coddled?  I would rather differentiate the structure for the 10% that may need it.  

I began the year with an exploration of Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth"http://www.brucemaudesign.com/4817/112450/work/incomplete-manifesto-for-growth.  Mau provides a list of tips for how to construct new ideas, forge connections, and spark creativity. Some examples include, “Work the Metaphor,” “Don’t clean your desk”, and “Go Deep.”  I was a tad apprehensive about giving this to my students on the first day, but they RAN with it.  I was impressed with their methodology in first selecting 5 important tips, then coming to consensus on 4 tips for the class, and finally blogging about the 1 tip they plan on implementing for themselves.  Most responses have been thorough, reflective, and forward-thinking.  All of this is being done in preparation for The Sol Lewitt Project, an 8x40 foot wall mural that will be completed using interdisciplinary skills.

The first days of school can be seem tedious and daunting, but putting in the logistical forces out of the gate ensures time for creative and innovative endeavors in the future.  I would be lying if I said the students didn’t seem nervous and uncomfortable about not being told what to do, but the gold is what follows this uneasiness.  Students attacked this  “outside-the-box” assignment with intensity and great interest.  They were engaged fully with the text in front of them, and reflected on it afterwards.  As an English teacher, what more can I ask for?  
Although I am sacrificing my progress in what some may call a "traditional curriculum," the students are gaining priceless metacognitive skills which will stay with them throughout the year.  After reflecting on a few more of their posts tonight, it is safe to say I am stunned by their responses.  That's the thing about kids, if you let them, they will pleasantly surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment